Link: Email the VA Office

...Applying for Benefits
...VA Check Receipt
...Up-to-date Records
...VA Payments
...Degrees & Majors
...Certification Process
...Military Training
...Transfer Work
...Validating Schedules
...Financial Aid Office


General Information for VA Students

The Department of Veteran Affairs must decide eligibility for individuals interested in VA Educational Benefits.

Applying for VA Benefits at Winthrop University
Application forms and supplementary information:

  • Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill for Active Duty/Honorably Discharged
  • Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Chapter 33:  Post-9/11 Veterans Assistance Act of 2008
  • Chapter 35: Survivorsí and Dependentsí Educational Assistance Program
  • Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill for National Guard/Selected Reserves
  • Chapter 1607:  Reserve Educational Assistance Program

VA Check Receipt (Chapter 30, 35, 1606, & 1607)
The average processing time for VA check receipt is 4-6 weeks after the semester begins. Checks for new students may take longer to receive. The student is responsible for all tuition payments to Winthrop University that may be due before the student begins receiving the VA checks during a given semester. Therefore, VA checks in essence serve as a source of reimbursement to the VA student. It is important that students make the necessary arrangements for tuition payments with the Controllerís Office or through the Financial Aid Office.

VA Check Receipt for Chapter 33 Recipients
VA payments for tuition and fees charged to the students account will be sent directly to the school.  The VA will send the stipend for books and supplies directly to the student.  All payments are based on the aggregate active duty service percentages found on the following GI Bill website:

Students are responsible for any fees not covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill.  It is important that students make the necessary arrangements for tuition payments with the Controllerís Office or through the Financial Aid Office.

Keeping Up-to-Date Records
Students in their first semester of enrollment at Winthrop must fill out the following forms and turn them in to the Winthrop University Veteran Benefits Office in 126 Tillman Hall:

**In addition, students are required to update these forms if there are any changes to the student's major or minor.  These forms are required in order to allow the Winthrop University Veterans Benefits Office to provide quality service to the student and precise information to the Department of Veteran Affairs.

VA Payments
The amount of assistance VA students receive from VA educational benefits varies by program. Payment amount information is provided by the VA Regional Office at 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (Chapters 30, 35, 1606, and 1607) and VOC REHAB 803-255-4242 (Chapter 31). Detailed information may also be found on the following web pages:

Degree Seeking and Undecided Majors
VA educational benefits are to be used to accomplish an educational objective. An educational objective is defined as ďa completion of a VA approved degree program from the studentsí home institutionĒ. All VA students must have a declared major.

* If a student has not decided on a major, he/she would be classified as "undecided major". As an "undecided major" a student will follow the General Education Requirements and not exceed 59 credit hours. The university is required by the Department of Veteran Affairs to discontinue any undeclared majors beyond the second year.

In order for students to receive VA payment for coursework, each registered class must fit into their declared major program. The courses listed for the major in a Winthrop University degree catalog, is the official list of courses that are covered under VA educational benefits. It is the studentís responsibility to make sure that their registered classes meet the VA certification requirements if VA payment is desired. Charges for any courses taken outside of a studentís major are the studentís responsibility.

For example, a student may have already fulfilled all their electives and would like to take an extra gym class. If the class cannot fit into his/her programís requirements, then VA would not be able to certify such a class. The student would then be responsible for payment of that class.

Certification Process
Once a student registers for classes, he/she notifies the Veterans Benefits Coordinator, who then proceeds with the certification process.

For Chapter 31 students, information is completed and faxed to the VOC REHAB office, Controllerís Office, and the Bookworm.
For Chapter 30, 33, 35, 1606, and 1607 the information is sent via internet through VA Once. New student information must be mailed.

Please keep in mind that the information is sent as quickly as possible. The minimum processing time for VA check receipt is 4-6 weeks after the semester begins. For new students it may takes longer.

Awarding Credit for Military Training
VA students may receive 2 hours of credit for Basic Training. In order to obtain credit, new students must submit a DD-214 form or a statement of service form to the Admissions Office.  Currently enrolled students may submit the form to Records and Registration, 126 Tillman.

Transfer Work
Official transcripts from all prior institutions of higher education attended must be turned in to the Admissions Office at Winthrop University. The Department of Veteran Affairs requires the Veterans Benefits Office at Winthrop University to officially report all prior higher education credits completed that can be applied towards the degree program that the student will be working on at Winthrop.

Validating Schedules
All VA students must call the Controllerís Office and validate their schedules at 803-323-3377. This insures that the student's schedule will not be dropped.

Financial Aid Office
VA students who are seeking to use additional sources of financial assistance, in addition to VA Benefits may contact the Financial Aid Office at 803-323-2189 for more information.









VA Seal Please note:
The Veteran Benefits Office at Winthrop University is not part of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Veteran Benefits Administration, nor is the staff employed by the Department of Veterans Affairs.