Link: Email the VA Office

Chapter 35: Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program

  • For information on eligibility or to file a claim for benefits under Chapter 35, visit
  • Students wishing to use their Chapter 35 educational benefits at Winthrop University must:
    • New students and first time Chapter 35 educational benefit users must fill out and submit a "VA Form 22-5490 Application" and submit a letter from the VA stating eligibility and what is available to the dependents, to the VA Office at Winthrop University.
    • Transfer students and prior users of Chapter 35 educational benefits must fill out the "VA Form 22-5495" and submit it to Winthrop's VA Office.
    • All transfer students must provide official transcripts from all prior institutions of higher education to Winthrop's Office of Admissions. This is a requirement for all VA students. The Department of Veteran Affairs requires the VA Office at Winthrop to officially report all prior credits completed at other higher education institutions that can be applied towards the degree program that the student will be working on at Winthrop.


photo collage