Link: Email the VA Office

Chapter 33: Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008

  • For information on eligibility or to file a claim for benefits under Chapter 33, visit
  • Students wishing to use their Chapter 33 educational benefits at Winthrop University must:
    • New students and first time Chapter 33 educational benefit users must fill out the "VA Form 22-1990 Application" and submit a certified copy of the "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214)" to the Winthrop VA Office.
    • Transfer students and prior users of Chapter 33 educational benefits must fill out the "VA Form 22-1995" and submit it to the VA Office at Winthrop University.
    • All transfer students must provide official transcripts from all prior institutions of higher education to Winthrop's Office of Admissions. This is a requirement for all VA students. The Department of Veteran Affairs requires the VA Office at Winthrop to officially report all prior credits completed at other higher education institutions that can be applied towards the degree program that the student will be working on at Winthrop.
  • Winthrop University is participating in the Yellow Ribbon program for the 2012-13 academic year.  The Yellow Ribbon Program allows approved institutions of higher learning and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to fund tuition and fee expenses that exceed the established thresholds under the Post 9/11 GI Bill.  Winthropís maximum contribution would be $6,000 per student per year, and the VA will match this amount.  This program is available on a first-come, first-served basis to the first 20 eligible undergraduate and 5 eligible graduate students per year.  To receive Yellow Ribbon funds, the student has to be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill at the 100% level, not be on active duty (or using the transferred entitlement of an active duty spouse) and be an out-of-state resident.  Click here for the application.


photo collage