Link: Email the VA Office

Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation

  • For information on eligibility or to file a claim for benefits under Chapter 31, visit or call Mr. Jonathyn Szczechawski, Case Manager, VOC REHAB Regional Office at 803-647-2405
  • Students wishing to use their Chapter 31 educational benefits at Winthrop University must:
    • New students and transfer students of Chapter 31 educational benefit users must contact the VA Regional Office in Columbia, South Carolina to apply for Voc Rehab. Once the application is processed, the Voc Rehab VA Regional Office will transmit an "Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status" form to the VA Office at Winthrop University. This form is needed for certification purposes.
    • All transfer students must provide official transcripts from all prior institutions of higher education to Winthrop's Office of Admissions. This is a requirement for all VA students. The Department of Veteran Affairs requires the VA Office at Winthrop to officially report all prior credits completed at other higher education institutions that can be applied towards the degree program that the student will be working on at Winthrop.
    • All Voc Rehab students must call the Winthrop Controller's Office and validate their schedules with Joan Miktuk at 803-323-3377. Failure to do so may result in the student's schedule being dropped.


photo collage