Criteria and Requirements for the Close Scholarship
Successful candidates will demonstrate high academic achievement and a demonstrated
commitment to community service and involvement. Applicants must also be entering freshmen* and
South Carolina residents.
Close Scholars must fill the following requirements:
- Working an average of eight hours a week (112 hours per semester) in one or more pre-approved service sites.
- Choosing one service site to devote six out of the eight hours per week. This will be considered the "primary service site."
- Choosing a variety of pre-approved secondary service sites, indirect service, and enrichment activities to work the remaining two hours per week.
- Keeping all appointments and work hours and informing the site supervisor prior to any absence or tardiness.
- Submitting time logs which accurately reflect time worked at primary and secondary service sites and time spent in enrichment activities.
- Completing reflection activities - an average of two per month - in the form of a written journal, art, or other tangible creation. Scholars are encouraged to use their imagination in creating reflection pieces.
- Attending all in-service activities planned at least once a month by the program coordinator, including the orientation held at the beginning of the year.
- Following all policies of the university.
- Maintaining a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA throughout all semesters.
The Close Scholars Program is not easy, and the decision to take on these responsibilities should not
be taken lightly; however, students who choose to apply and are chosen will have a life-enriching experience
like none other they'll receive in college.
* In the event that a Close Scholar is unable to fulfill his/her obligations and loses the scholarship,
a upperclassmen of the same class standing may be eligible to receive the Close Scholarship. Click
here for details.