WU students

Dual Enrollment - FAQs

Students (go directly to Parent FAQs)

Q1: How do I know if I qualify for the dual enrollment program at Winthrop?
A: If you have the high school course work that classifies you as a current/rising junior or senior, a 3.0 GPA on the SC Uniform Grading Scale, and a 22 ACT/1050 SAT (or PreAct/PSAT equivalent) then you qualify!

Q2: Can I take any courses that are offered?
A: Visit the course registration page for directions on viewing course offerings.

Q3: How do I sign up?
First time dual enrollment students must complete a dual enrollment application. Each semester after the inital application, students must resubmit the Permission Form for Returning Students.

Q4: Is there a cost to complete the dual enrollment application?
There is no application fee for the dual enrollment program.

Q5: How do I register for the courses that I want?
Follow the directions on the Dual Enrollment Registration page.

Q6: Do classes start the same day as my high school?
NO! Winthrop classes are on a different schedule than K-12 schools. Pay close attention to start and end dates on the registration calendar as well as differences in holidays. We do not have teacher workdays at Winthrop!

Q7: Where do I park when I come to campus for my classes?
Before classes start, students should acquire a parking permit through the Campus Police Department by making an online request or by visiting the Good Building on campus. Students will purchase a "commuter" permit and must park in designated areas. Keep transportation in mind when choosing classes - give plenty of time to get to and from school or other activities.

Q8: Where do I get my Winthrop ID?
Computing and Information Technology produces Winthrop ID cards. Once your dual enrollment application has been approved and you have a Winthrop student ID number, follow the directions on the technology webpage for obtaining your ID card. First time dual enrollment students will also have the opportunity to have their card made immediately prior to student/family orientation.

Q9: What are the benefits to having a Winthrop ID?
Having access to a Winthrop student ID provides multiple benefits for the owner including entry into athletic and cultural events, West Center access, academic support services, Dacus Library access, discounts at local business, and much more!

Q10: What can I do if I'm not doing well in a class and want to drop it?
We encourage students to talk to the courses instructor (and high school guidance counselor if for dual credit) immediately upon realizing challenges exist and take advantage of on-campus academic support services. Should a student need to drop a course, it must be done so prior to the date on the registration calendar. After this date, the grade attained will be posted on an official transcript.

Parents and Families (return to Student FAQs)

Q1: How much does the dual enrollment program cost?
A: The program cost for dual enrollment courses taken on the Winthrop campus is $495 for in-state participants and $545 for out-of-state (for every 1-4 credit hours). This includes tuition and fees as well as access to the benefits and resources available to a Winthrop student. The $495/$545 does NOT cover parking, course materials such as textbooks, or individual course fees.

Q2: Can we use lottery funds to pay the program cost?
A: Because Winthrop is a four-year institution, lottery funds cannot be used to cover the dual enrollment program costs.

Q3: How do I pay for my student's courses?
A: Once a student registers, the total cost for the course(s) will be placed on the student's account and an eBill delivered to the student's Winthrop email address (the email can be forwarded to whomever will be paying for the account). The program bill must be paid prior to starting classes; specific due date and directions for remitting payment will be indicated on the bill. Payment can also be made when attending the initial family orientation.

Q4: Does my student qualify for the Winthrop Dual Enrollment Program?
A: Students must have the high school coursework that qualifies them as a current/rising junior or senior. In addition, students mush have a 3.0 non-weighted GPA and a 22 ACT/PreACT or 1050 SAT/PSAT (without writing).

Q5: How many dual enrollment courses can my student take?
A: Students may enroll in up to six hours of dual enrollment credit in their first semester (e.g., two 3-hour courses).

Q6: Can Winthrop dual enrollment courses count for high school credit as well as college credt?
A: Students should discuss dual enrollment course opportunities with their high school counselor. This is especially true if the student wishes to use the course to fulfill a high school graduation requirement.

Q7: How can I get access to my student's dual enrollment course grades?
A: The moment a student (regardless of age) registers for classes, their education records become protected under FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as Amended). This federal act gives students certain rights with respect to their education records as outlined on Winthrop's website. Students can submit a form granting access to specific others such as parents. This process is discussed at the family orientation for first time dual enrollment students.

Q8: If my student is struggling or would like help with the coursework, where can they go?
A: Students should always contact the course instructor (by email, phone, or visiting during office hours). However, because they are a Winthrop student, they also have access to a unique set of support services such as the Academic Success Center, the Mathematics Tutorial Center, and the Writing Center.

Q9: Will my student's dual enrollment courses transfer to any college or university?
A: While most courses offered through the dual enrollment program are meant to provide maximum flexibility, we cannot guarantee transferability (unless students enroll at Winthrop as full time students!). If there is a specific institution(s) to which the student would like to transfer the credit, we suggest using the Transfer Articulation website or contacting the desired institution's registration office with the Winthrop course information BEFORE taking the course to receive confirmation of transfer credit.

Q10: What is the difference between dual enrollment and dual credit?
A: Dual enrollment is a broad definition for situations in which students are concurrently enrolled at both secondary (typically a high school) and post-secondary (college or university) institutions. Dual enrollment is used most often when high school students are enrolled in a college course for college credit only. Dual credit describes situations in which a college coures is taken by a high school student for which the student is awarded both college and high school credit. It is important to note that grades attained in dual credit classes impact both high school and college transcripts.

Course Listing
Overview Presentation
Permission and Verification Form
Permission Form for RETURNING Students (required each semester)
Program Application
Registration Information

Dr. Robert Prickett
Associate Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
Winthrop University