Procurement Services Header
307 Tillman Hall, Rock Hill, SC  29733    803/323-2143    803/323-2480 (Fax)   
Procurement Policy Statement
Purchasing Card Program
On Line Requisitioning
On Line Forms
How to Contact Us
Doing Business with Winthrop
Statements of Awards
Helpful Links
Procurement Home
Winthrop's Home


Purchasing Card Program Frequently Asked Questions

Cardholder Questions:

Can I use the card for employee travel related expenses?
Answer:   When traveling on University business, an approved Travel Authorization form should always be in place.   The Travel Authorization form can be located on the Accounts Payable page. Once the travel authorization form has been completed and approved by all the appropriate parties, the card can be used for the following: registration fees, car rentals, gasoline to refuel rental car, and airline tickets. You may NOT use your card to pay for gasoline to refuel your personal vehicle when traveling on behalf of the University.  You may NOT use your card to pay for hotels or meals.  You may not use your card to reserve a hotel room pertaining to employee travel.  Hotels are blocked.

Question:  How can I dispute a charge on my bill?
Answer:  Attempt to contact to vendor to obtain a credit.  If the vendor cannot be contacted or if the vendor will not issue a credit, you can dispute the charge directly with the bank.  You must fill out a dispute form and fax it to Bank of America.  Or the appropriate liaison can dispute the charge online within BankofAmerica's WORKS system.  The dispute must be done within 60 days of the date of your VISA statement.

Question:  Can I use the card to purchase items on the internet?
Answer:    Yes, but make sure that you print out your "shopping cart" complete order and forward to your liaison for reconciliation.  In addition, once the item is received, forward the packing slip to the liaison.

Question:  Can I used the card to place orders via the telephone?
Answer:    Yes, but make sure that the vendor faxes or emails you a confirmation to be used for a receipt.   The vendor SHOULD NOT send an invoice to Accounts Payable.

Question:  What should I do if my card is declined?
Answer:    Call the Card Administrator in Purchasing Services at 803-323-2143, ext. 6025.  The Administrator will immediately contact the bank and determine the reason for the decline. If the Card Administrator and the Bank resolve the decline, then the vendor can call 1-800-300-9776 to obtain a manual override for that particular transaction.

Question:  Can the card be used with Aramark?
Answer:    No.

Question:   Can the card be used at The Bookworm?
Answer:     No. 

Question:    What if I lose the receipt?
Answer:      Contact the vendor for another receipt.   As a last resort if no receipt can be
obtained, create a receipt and document the situation, listing the items that were purchased,
including vendor name, charges, and date purchased.  Sign the document and forward to your
department head for signature.  Then forward to liaison for permanent retention.

Question: What Are the Limits on My Card?
Answer: Default University limits are: $10,000 per month and $1,500 per transaction.  However these limits may vary from card to card.  The Purchasing Card Administrator will cover these limits with you at the time of card distribution and will so notate on your Cardholder's Quick Reference Guide distributed at the same time as card distribution. If you cannot remember your card limits, contact the Purchasing Card Administrator at ext 6025.  

Liaison Questions:

Question:  During the reconciliation/allocation process, when should the "Taxes Status" field be changed to "Subject to Use Tax?"
Answer:  When sales tax was not paid and SHOULD have been paid.  For example, if you purchase a tangible item and no sales tax was charged, then change the field to "Subject to Use Tax."  When the transaction posts to Banner, an additional 7% will be automatically encumbered on your Banner FOAP.  This will be paid directly to the State of South Carolina since the vendor did not charge you sales tax.  Some purchases are not taxable.  


Return to Top

[Procurement Policy Statement] [Purchasing Card Program]
[On Line Requisitioning] [On Line Forms] [How to Contact Us] [ Contracts]
[Doing Business with Winthrop] [Statements of Awards] [Solicitations]
[Helpful Links]  [Procurement Home] [Winthrop's Home]


Rock Hill, South Carolina   29733
Copyright Winthrop University
University Disclaimer Statement