Facilities Management Header
Facilities Management  •  349 Columbia Avenue, Rock Hill, SC  29733  •  803/323-2261  •  803/323-4295 (Fax)   
Facilities Home
Work Request
Directions for Work Request
Repair Requests for Microfridge, Cable,    and Laundry
Staff Directory
W·E·C·A·R·E Recycling Program

Environmental Health & Safety

-Workplace Injuries for Employees

-Workplace Injuries for Student Interns

Campus Map
Campus Tour
Campus Space Use Policy
Winthrop Webcams
Building Energy Management Schedules


Reporting Workplace Injuries and Workers' Compensation for Employees

All employees of the University are protected while on duty by a Workers’ Compensation Program administered by the State Accident Fund (SAF).  Medical case management is provided by Compendium Services., Inc., through a contractual agreement with SAF.  Workers’ compensation claims are filed electronically by Compendium Services in response to the submission of a First Report of Injury.  Questions regarding the workers’ compensation plan or reporting procedures should be directed to Gregory ‘Thadd’ Bridges, Workers’ Compensation Administrator, at 803-323-2392 or

When an injury or illness is determined by SAF to be work-related, the employee's medical expenses including prescription drugs and mileage for doctor’s visits in excess of 10 miles per round-trip may be paid.

Reporting Minor Injuries or Work-Related Illnesses

1.       Any employee who sustains even a minor injury while on duty or develops a work-related illness must immediately report the injury or illness to their supervisor.

2.       When medical treatment is needed, the supervisor must contact Compendium Services at 877-709-2667 to file a First Report of Injury and to receive authorization for treatment.  All non-emergency medical treatment must be pre-approved by Compendium Services and is provided by:


Occumed at Riverview Medical Center

1393 Celanese Road

Rock Hill, SC 29732



3.       The supervisor must also report the injury or illness to Gregory ‘Thadd’ Bridges, Workers’ Compensation Administrator at 323-2392.


Employees should report all injuries and work-related illnesses to their supervisor no matter how minor they may seem at the time.  An employee who fails to report and injury or work-related illness may risk being denied benefits by SAF should medical treatment be needed at a later time.


Medical Emergencies


1.       In the event of a serious or life-threatening injury that requires immediate or emergency medical attention, call 9-911 for an emergency operator or call Winthrop University Campus Police at 323-3333.  Compendium Services and the Campus Administrator should be contacted as soon as the situation allows.


2.       When an injured employee is transported to an emergency treatment facility for care, the supervisor or a designated University representative should accompany them to the facility and remain until the employee has been admitted or released.


3.       The supervisor or designated representative should notify the treating facility that workers’ compensation may be filed for the injured employee and provide the following insurance information, if needed:


For treatment authorization and case management:

Compendium Services, Inc.                            
TEL 877- 709-2667                               
FAX 877- 710-2667

For billing and payment information:

State Accident Fund                               
P.O. Box 102100                               
Columbia, SC 29221-5000                               
TEL 800-521-6576

For verification of employment and insurance coverage:


Gregory ‘Thadd’ Bridges

Winthrop University                      

Environmental Health and Safety                           

TEL 803-323-2392                                              

FAX 803-323-2426                                    


Winthrop University

Human Resources

TEL 803-323-2273



Rock Hill, South Carolina   29733
Copyright © 2005 - 2007 Winthrop University
University Disclaimer Statement