If you are a Faculty Member:
- If you have not previously used Turnitin, you must first register as a new user. Go to the Turnitin Home Page, click on "New User". ( If you have used Turnitin before, click on the "User Login" button.) Faculty must have the Winthrop University account ID number and password in order to register for a Turnitin account. This information can be obtained by contacting Gale Teaster (323-2311) or the Reference Desk (323-4501).
- Once you have registered and logged in, you may add classes.
- Click on the "Add New Class" button, and fill out the form on the screen.
- You will need to create a new class for each course in which students will be submitting papers.
- After you have created the class, Turnitin will assign a class ID number. Your students will need this ID number as well as the password you created to enroll in the class.
- Now you must create the assignment for the class.
- Click on the class name in your list of classes.
- Click on the "Assignments" button on the toolbar at the top of the screen.
- Follow the directions on the screen to create assignments. Assignments have "Begin" and "End' dates which must be different. (If you create an assignment with the same beginning and ending dates, no papers can be submitted.)
- After the assignment is created, tell your students to submit papers at least 24 hours before the assignment is due, giving you a chance to see the results.
- When a student submits a paper, you will see the color coded results and can discuss the paper and the results with each student as needed.
The following resources will be helpful as you use Turnitin in your classes: