Circulation of Laptop Computers
The following policy applies to laptop computers owed and circulated by Dacus Library, Winthrop University.
Laptops circulate to current Winthrop University students, faculty and staff ONLY.
The borrower must present a current Winthrop photo I.D. card.
If the I.D. card is not a photo I.D., the borrower must present an additional form of identification with a photo.
Each borrower must accept the Laptop Liability Statement when logging on to the computer. This statement will detail the liability of the borrower.
- Laptops are checked out from the Circulation Desk.
- Laptops must be returned to the Circulation Desk by the time due or closing, whichever is earlier.
- Laptops are to be used in the library only and may not be taken outside of the building.
- Laptops are circulated for a period of 3 hours.
- Laptops are available on a first come, first served basis. They cannot be reserved in advance.
- Once a laptop is checked out to a patron, it becomes the responsibility of that patron.
The circulation staff will reboot the laptop to verify the computer is operating.
The circulation staff will do a visual check of the laptop ensuring that the following components are intact:
Fines and Liabilities
- Overdue fines are $5.00 per hour, with a 15 minute grace period.
Patrons who return laptops more than 15 minutes after the time due will be charged the full $5.00 hourly fee.
- The borrower is responsible for all costs associated with any damage to the laptop during the check-out period.
- The borrower is responsible for replacement costs (not less than $500.00) if the laptop is lost or stolen during the check-out period. In this case, the borrower would also be responsible for any accrued overdue charges and a $10.00 processing charge.
- All laptop borrowers will be required to accept a Liability Statement when logging on to the laptop.
- Dacus Library has 20 wireless Pentium M laptops available for in-house checkout.
- The laptops run on the Windows XP operating system.
- All laptops are loaded with the following software:
- Internet Explorer
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Publisher
- Microsoft Project
- Microsoft FrontPage
- Microsoft Works
- Deep Freeze is loaded on each laptop.
- The laptops are linked to the card-operated printers in the library.
- If desired, work can be saved to the Z drive or CD drive.
- The following information is attached to each laptop:
- Laptops may be used in the library only.
- Laptops circulate for a 3 hour period.
- The fine for an overdue laptop is $5.00 per hour (or fraction thereof greater than 15 minutes.)