Special Collections and Rare Books
*Please also visit our Digitized Collections
- The Archives in consultation with the staff of Dacus Library is responsible for the acquisition and selection of the books for the Rare Book Collection.
- The Technical Services Division is responsible for the cataloging of items placed in Special Collections
- The Archives is responsible for curating and housing items placed in Special Collections
- The types of materials placed in the rare book collection include:
- All books printed before 1800
- Books printed in the United States before 1875
- South Carolina imprints before 1930
- Generally, books costing the library more than $250, or having a similar auction value
- First editions of significance
- Books in original form printed in numbered editions of 500 or less
- Autograph copies of works presented to Dacus Library by Winthrop’s faculty, staff, or alumni
- Works by important local authors
- Confederate imprints
- Association copies, i.e., works inscribed to Winthrop University. In certain discretionary circumstances, books inscribed to Winthrop faculty, staff, and alumni can also be put in Special Collections
- Other books that the Archives, in consultation with other departments in Dacus Library, decides is a rare book
- Books subject to loss or damage, including:
- items of poor or fragile condition
- volumes or portfolios of loose or fine plates
- Note: Items whose content or illustrations make them subject to theft are placed on Permanent Reserve at Circulation
User Policy for Special Collections
- No item in Special Collections may be taken out of the Archives Research area, unless under special circumstances.
- All items placed in Special Collections must be used in the Archives reading room during the regular working hours of the Archives. In unusual circumstances arrangements can be made for the use of items in Special Collections outside of the regular working hours, but only at the discretion of the Director of Archives and Special Collections or the Assistant Archivist and only if the user has a current Winthrop I.D.