Placeholder Image

Campus ca 1913

A Winthrop University Chronology


1823 -Little Chapel ca 1920 The Little Chapel, Winthrop University’s first home, built.
1856 - DB Johnson ca1886David Bancroft Johnson, Winthrop’s founder, born in La Grange, Tennessee.
   
1873 - Woodrow Wilson makes his confession of faith in the Little Chapel.
   
1883 - Johnson is appointed Columbia, S.C. school superintendent.
   
1886 - Johnson receives $1,500 appropriation from the Peabody Education Board headed by Robert Charles Winthrop.
   
1886 - Mary Hall LeonardThe institution begins classes as Winthrop Training School in Columbia under the tutelage of Winthrop's first instructor - Mary Hall Leonard.
   
1887 - Fourteen students graduated at Winthrop’s first commencement; South Carolina grants Winthrop Training School a charter and provides $150 per month scholarship to one student from each county in the state; Winthrop moves to a house on Marion Street where it remains until the College moves to Rock Hill in 1895.
   
1888 - Winthrop Literary Society, the first student group, organized.
   
1889 - The Winthrop Alumnae Association established.
   
1890 - President's House ca1900 Future President’s House built in Rock Hill.
   
1891 - Mary Yeargin, D.B. Johnson and Hannah Hemphill 1891South Carolina General Assembly establishes the South Carolina Industrial and Winthrop Normal College and considers offers from towns competing to be the College’s permanent site; Winthrop starts a two-year curriculum. Former president Rutherford B. Hayes visits Winthrop.
   
1892 - First Winthrop College catalog published.
   
1893 - Name changed to the Winthrop Normal and Industrial College of South Carolina.
   
1894 - WC Home Management HouseThe cornerstone of Main Building (now know as Tillman Administration Building) laid; Practice House (now known as Stewart House) built; and Robert C. Winthrop, the College’s first benefactor, dies.
   
1895 - Blue Line 1912 Winthrop begins classes in Rock Hill; uniform dress code goes into effect; a four- year curriculum instituted; Blue Line tradition begins; and North Dormitory (later Margaret Nance) built.
   
1896 - Winthrop YWCA chapter organized; Crawford Infirmary built.
   
1898 - First Tatler published; first A.B. conferred; and first summer school held.
   
1899 - First faculty meeting held.
   
1900 - Enrollment tops 500 and Winthrop Kindergarten opens.
   
1901 - South Dormitory (McLaurin Hall) completed.
   
1902 - Mrs. D.B. Johnson 1902Winthrop Journal first published and President D.B. Johnson marries Mai Rutledge Smith.
   
1903 - Daisy Chain 1929Daisy Chain tradition begins.
   
1905 - Carnegie Library (later Rutledge Building) completed.
   
1907 - South Carolina General Assembly extends students’ Christmas holiday from one day to ten.
   
1909 - Bancroft Hall and the Dining Hall (later known as McBryde Cafeteria) are built, and the home management program begun.
   
1911 - Student Government Association formed.
   
1912 - First B.S. and M.A. degrees conferred, and the  Winthrop Training School building (later known as Withers) constructed.
   
1913 - Tillman Science Building Tillman Science Building constructed. The play Old English Pageant was held on May 13th.
   
1914 - Agreement with Clemson College whereby Winthrop responsible for home economics extension in South Carolina. First alma mater was adopted.
   
1915 - Winthrop Weekly News, College’s first newspaper, published, and Peabody Gymnasium built.
   
1916 - Most popular college song is "Fairest Flower of the Southland" written in 1919 by Dr. Donnis Martin, professor of ancient languages. (Adopted as Alma Mater 1936.)
   
1919 - Helen Keller visits, and enrollment tops 1,000.
   
1920 - Roddey Hall and Johnson Hall built, and name changed to "Winthrop College, the South Carolina College for Women."
   
1921 - The pageant titled "The Making of South Carolina" involving 1,400 students, faculty, and Training School boys and girls was held.
   
1922 - Ludy Godbold 1922 Lucile Godbold ("Ludy") wins two gold and four other medals in the International Women's Olympiad. First Founder’s Day celebrated.
   
1923 - Winthrop Weekly News changes name to Johnsonian.
   
1924 - Breazeale Hall Breazeale Hall built.
   
1925 - Will Rogers visits. Winthrop becomes second largest women's college in the U.S.
   
1926 - Joynes Hall built and State Music Festival established at Winthrop.
   
1928 - The Johnsonian 1929David Bancroft Johnson dies.
   
1929 - May Day 1929 May Day traditions started; James P. Kinard named second president, and Kinard Hall built.
   
1932 - College Shack built.
   
1934 - Dr. Shelton Phelps named third president, and Book and Key Club organized.
   
1936 - Little Chapel ReconstructionLittle Chapel moved from Columbia to Rock Hill for reconstruction, and Amelia Earhart visits.
   
1937 - Miss Hi-Miss Weekend begun.
   
1939 - Macfeat Nursery School, Thurmond Hall and Byrnes Auditorium and Conservatory of Music built.
   
1940 - Eleanor Roosevelt Vist to Campus Eleanor Roosevelt visits, and music program’s accreditation is the College’s first professional accreditation.
   
1942 - Cadets Marching 1942 U.S. Army Air Force (formerly known as Army Air Corps, 41st College Training Detachment) and Civilian Pilot Training Program based at Winthrop. First Tillman Award given to Annie Belle Graham.
   
1943 - Mowat Fraser Blue Line 1940sPhelps Hall (also known as Senior Hall) built. Mowat Fraser named Interim President.
   
1944 - Mrs. D.B. Johnson christens shipHenry R. Sims named fourth president, and Mrs. Johnson christens the S.S. D. B. Johnson.
   
1945 - Victory ship, S.S. Winthrop Victory, launched.
   
1953 - Enrollment tops 2,000.
   
1954 - Winthrop trustees go on record favoring coeducation.
   
1955 - Uniform regulations discontinued; and D. B. Johnson Memorial Organ dedicated.
   
1958 - Lake at Winthrop Farm Opening of Winthrop Lake.
   
1959 - Dr. Charles S. Davis named fifth president.
   
1961 - Sims Science Building completed; and Dr. Harold B. Gilbreth receives first Distinguished Professor Award.
   
1962 - Lee Wicker Hall built; Tillman (first science building) razed; Main Building renamed Tillman Hall;  Anthology’s first issue published; Research Advisory Council (later Winthrop Research Council) established; and first Master of Arts teaching degree conferred.
   
1963 - Winthrop acquires golf course property near the College Lake.
   
1964 - Cynthia Plair Roddy ca 1960sCynthia Plair Roddey, first African American student, enrolls; first Master of Science degree conferred; and President Davis signs charter for Phi Kappa Phi’s Winthrop chapter.
   
1965 - Enrollment tops 3,000 and Thomson Hall and Cafeteria are built.
   
1966 - Mrs. Christine South Gee, Winthrop alumna, becomes first honorary degree recipient; and the College of Arts and Sciences, School of Education, School of Music, and School of Home Economics organized.
   
1967 - School of Business Administration organized; and Richardson Hall, Wofford Hall, and Dinkins Student Center built.
   
1968 - Catawba Hall Catawba Hall (built ca1890 as Presbyterian High School) razed. Winthrop Training School (The Model School) closes.
   
1969 - Walter Schrader 1984Walter Schrader becomes first male to receive a Winthrop degree; and Dacus Library built.
   
1970 - Enrollment tops 4,000.
   
1972 - General Assembly passes limited admission of males; and Master Business  Administration degree approved.
   
1973 - Dr. Charles B. Vail named sixth president, and Winthrop Foundation established.
   
1974 - Coed Bill Signing 1974Winthrop becomes fully coeducational; Human Development Center organized; Joynes Center for Continuing Education established; and tennis and golf are first men’s sports. Official name changed to Winthrop College.
   
1975 - Winthrop joins NAIA; and Roddey Hall converted to student apartments.
   
1977 - Tillman and McBryde placed on National Register of Historic Places; first Eagle Run; first men’s basketball season; first Model United Nations; and Breazeale Hall converted into student apartments.
   
1978 - First Winthrop- Wylie Mathematics Tournament.
   
1979 - Undergraduate business program accredited; Lodge acquired and converted into Winthrop Residence Hall; and "Winthrop Challenge" television program begun.
   
1980 - The First Pitch February 28, 1980First men’s baseball game, and Winthrop coat- of- arms adopted.
   
1981 - Withers/WTS placed on National Register of Historic Places, and Dr. Keith Bildstein named first Outstanding Junior Professor.
   
1982 - Dr Glenn ThomasColiseum completed, and Dr. Glenn Thomas appointed Interim President.
   
1983 - Phillip Lader named seventh president; Blue Line tradition and convocation renewed; Dunlap-Roddey Board of Trustees Room completed; Winthrop hosts its first National Championship (NAIA women’s volleyball); national accreditation of graduate business program; first annual Fallfest; and historian John Hope Franklin initiates Distinguished Lecturer Series.
   
1984 - Winthrop receives largest state appropriations in its history, including funding for Winthrop Initiatives to Improve Teaching; general education requirements strengthened, exam week reinstated, convocations and cultural events required, and the entrance requirements raised, former Governor John C. West receives first Winthrop Medallion to commemorate tenth anniversary of coeducation.; enrollment reaches an all- time high of 5,055; college admitted to NCAA; Winthrop initiates statewide computer- assisted remedial program in public schools; Dr. Roger Bumgarte receives first James P. Kinard Award for Excellence in Teaching; "Rededication" celebrated with Bob Hope, Rosalynn Carter, Governor Pierre duPont IV and other national figures; and Bill Culp and Jane Morris receive Winthrop’s first Employee of the Year awards.
   
1985 - Dr. Marcus Newberry December 1986Alumni Fund sets record; Springs Industries’ $500,000 Daniel Foundation’s $275,000, and many corporate and other gifts boost endowment; academic standards further toughened; and campus renovations begun.
1985 -   Marcus Newberry named Winthrop’s interim president.
   
1986 - Dr. Martha Kime Piper takes office as Winthrop’s eighth president; Winthrop College celebrates its Centennial.
   
1987 - Winthrop officially joins NCAA, Division I ranks and becomes the first college to sign a NCAA " fair share agreement" encouraging the promotion of minorities and the use of minority businesses; Twenty buildings constructed from 1894 to 1943 are listed on the National Register of Historic Places; Executive Master of Business Administration program initiated.
   
1988 - Mike Smith Interim President President Piper receives ‘Woman of the Year" award from the South Carolina Association of Business and Professional Women’s Clubs; Winthrop trustees approve a proposal making Winthrop the first college or university in the state to offer a Master of Liberal Arts degree; President Piper dies. Mike Smith named interim president.
   
1989 - Dr. Anthony DiGiorgio becomes Winthrop’s ninth president;  President DiGiorgio speaks in favor of national teaching standards at a South Carolina education summit.
   
1992 - Name Change 1992Winthrop becomes an university. Official name changed to Winthrop University.
   
1993 - President DiGiorgio elected to serve on NCAA Subcommittee on Minority Issues.
   
1996 - U.S. News and World Report magazine ranks Winthrop one of the top twenty regional universities in the South in the magazine’s America’s Best College Value Edition.
   
1999 - Winthrop Eagles make the NCAA Division I basketball tournament for first time in its history; Life Sciences Complex completed; William L. Culp Chiller Plant completed.
 
2000 - Winthrop College of Education renamed the Richard Riley College of Education.
   
2001 - Baseball Park completed; Softball Complex completed.
   
2002 - Sims Building 1970sSims Science Building remodeled.
   
2003 - University College founded; Tennis Complex completed; Courtyard opened; Operations Center on Cherry Road opened.
   
2004 - Breazeale Hall demolished; Joynes Hall remodeled as The Inn at Winthrop; Wetlands project approved and begun; New Generation Education Program created.
   
2005 - Lucile Godbold, Class of 1922, named to the SC Hall of Fame; Olde Stone House renovations completed.
   
2007 - Peabody Gymnasium razed; Comstruction completed on Owens Hall and the Lois Rhame West Health, Physical Education and Wellness Center.
   
2009 - Vivian Moore Carroll Hall completed.
   
2010 - Anthony J. and Gale N. DiGiorgio Campus Center completed; Scholars Walk and Hardin Family Gardens completed.

Winthrop University Homepage Dacus Library Homepage